Thursday, April 9, 2009

Book

At Monday's meeting I mentioned to several people that I was really enjoying reading Joshilyn Jackson's novel the girl who stopped swimming. The main character is an art quilter who is working her way through a new project as we work through the mystery. A little research told me that Ms Jackson is not a quilter herself but is a big fan of the art; in particular the work of Pamela Allen of Canada, who the author commissioned to make the quilt she describes in the book. Just for the record, the art quilt aspect is a very small part of the story and simply provides a way to round out the character of the protagonist.
Anyway, I want to report that I have finished the book and I thoroughly enjoyed the story all the way to the last page. I will be returning the copy I have to the Park County Library later today in case someone else wants to pick it up next time they are in Cody. If you are not familiar with the art work of Pamela Allen, I urge you to take a few minutes to look her up on-line. Her unique and enchanting style means her work is a delight to peruse.

1 comment:

  1. Wouldn't you know it! I leave Cody on June 1. :-) Maybe next time I can get to one of your meetings!

    I, too, enjoyed this book. If you haven't already, be sure to read "The Art of Mending" by Elizabeth Berg, where the main character is also a quilter.

    ReplyDelete